Why do a research visit?

By Judith Nyfeler

Between February and April 2024 I spent time as a visitor to the Centre for Sociodigital Futures at the University of Bristol. I had visited Bristol before and also one of my co-authors was based within the Centre. I was glad to have this opportunity to live and work in this colourful city in southwest England. And also, to have the privilege to take my family with me for a certain time. During my stay, I learned a lot about the benefits of such a trip. I will now share eight reasons why working abroad can be fruitful and beneficial.

1. Change of scenery

Changing your university context and diving into a different culture is thrilling! Its architecture, its nature, its consumption habits, its language, and its research context. The new scenery can be a welcome distraction and will energize you.

2. Meet new researchers

Networking is key. You can plan to meet particular people while also enjoying impromptu encounters. I chose to visit a university with little intersection of contacts to my home uni. I planned to meet a few people but wanted to stay open to get to know researchers and from all over the place.

3. Time to concentrate

Being away from your home department gives a unique opportunity to focus. As a visitor I was invited to many events, reading groups and social gatherings all of which presented opportunities to engage with and experience the work and life of the Centre. At the same time, having a desk and a space to call my own meant that between activities I was able to get my head down and work on my to do list away from the day-to-day distractions of my department back home.

4. Immerse yourself in a new (research) culture

As you are working abroad, your perception changes. Your temporary adopted home helps to reflect about internalized, unquestioned perceptions. It is a privilege to get a chance to learn from other countries, cultures and persons.

5. Welcoming visitors

We had family and friends over and it was a pleasure to show them around. Stories about the city, about your life there and how you see things will captivate your visitors. It will be part of your biography and it is wonderful to share this experience with others.

6. Test your ideas

Being on a research visit, you can test new ideas, present a paper or introduce your research to an alternative community. For instance, visiting a colleague at the University of Warwick was a fruitful and constructive encounter. Also, I had several chats with members of the Centre where I could talk about my study and which ended up by finding interesting connections between our research projects.

7. No teaching

Usually, I teach every semester. This spring term I could pause my teaching obligation. Thereby, I received even more leeway to boost my ongoing projects. As I teach research-based, my teaching will profit from my stay as well!

8. Recharge and energise

Although I was working a lot, I felt energised when I returned home. Looking back on various new experiences and encounters as well as a lot of work done helps to look forward and embark on new projects…

Thank you, Bristol and CenSoF, for a rich and intense time!

For more information on the work of the Centre for Sociodigital Futures, join our mailing list, follow us on X and LinkedIn or visit our webpage.